How can one be vegan AND crossfit? Follow my journey as I merge two worlds into one....

They're under there somewhere!

It has been WEEKS since my last post. A 10 day trip to California, followed by a slow transition into my regular 6-days/week crossfit routine, had me discouraged and unmotivated to blog. I was able to crossfit at home in California; but could only bolster enough motivation to go every-other-day. My high school Econ teacher opened a box in Novato, Ca called Crossfit North Marin. My experience at CFNM was fantastic; the coaches were motivating and encouraging, the members were friendly and welcoming. But alas, it wasn't CFN, it wasn't my regular class time, and it wasn't my morning crew. Although leaving my family and flying back across the country was hard, I couldn't wait to get back into my regular routine and workout with my regular folk :)

Since my return, I have hit PRs in my deadlift (225#), strict press (75#) and back squat(175#)!! I started practicing butterfly pull-ups--I took time to video tape myself practicing--it definitely looks like a butterfly pull-up! My chin almost reaches the bar, and I can only do 3-4 in a row. But I'm proud of myself for working at it, I'll get it soon enough! I have also been practicing double unders, and successfully did 9 in a row last week. DUs were incorporated into a WOD two days ago; my calves were so tight and sore yesterday!

After class this morning, I was in the bathroom changing into my work clothes (some days my shower is postponed until after work!), and I took a peak in the mirror. I was surprised to see a hint of abs!! Excitement overcame and I had to snap a photo. I knew they would reveal themselves soon enough...




The past couple weeks I have added another delicious meal to my menu; quinoa with lemon-tahini sauce, steamed kale, tomatoes, red bell peppers and a Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burger. It's quick, easy and delicious. I make a batch on Sunday, and have it for lunch mon-wed. I have also added rice crackers and hummus to the mix, along with honey roasted peanut butter on rice cakes. 2+ months in and I am happy to report that my animal-friendly food choices do not negatively affect my performance at the gym. I feel strong and am happy with my progress over the past 4+ months.

No comments:

Post a Comment